Around the end of January, that is, about a month ago, I decided to re-install Tiger on my -relatively new- laptop. It took my an evening to backup everything (even more thoroughly that my daily backups), including /usr/local and other niceties (/Library/WebServer and /sw). I re-install, and my main goal was successful: spotlight was operational again. I then one by one re-instated capabilities, and everything went fine (note that amd did not break spotlight, so was not the culprit). I have not yet re-installed Salling Clicker (although I have the dmg on my desktop). One thing that did not get along fine is Movable Type. I spent countless hours to try to make it work; re-installed MT3.2, mysql (several versions), DBI and DBD::mysql perl modules. I eventually cornered the problem to the DBI perl module. First, those were the ones that made my backed up MT failed at the re-install: the perl installer put things in odd places, like /System/Library/Perl or /Library/Perl, that I did not back up of course. So I had to re-install DBI and DBD::mysql, and that was what created the issue. Somehow, the DBI I installed from the web had some incompatibility with the mysql I use (I tried both 4.0 -from fink- and 5.0 -from mysql.com-) and was creating problem in decoding crypted passwords. The net result is that I could not log in the MT admin page, which is of course very annoying. As I say, this is fixed now, and my blog is operational again! This episode has made me realized how I had became dependent of this tool.
Btw, here is how I fixed it:
- I'm using mysql-max-5.0.18-osx10.4-powerpc from mysql.com
- I'm using MT3.2 from sixapart.com (free license)
- I located the DBI and DBD perl modules
- I re-installed DBI from fink (and not from CPAN, that's the key)
- I re-installed DBD::mysql from CPAN
Of course, you have to be careful each time to make sure there is a user/password and a empty database for your blog. These have to be entered in mt-config.cgi.
I'm really glad to have solved this problem. I lost so many hours on it, trying to debug the perl code (which turn out mood when I realized the thing was working with the Berkely DB, hence the issue was not in the MT perl code but in the MT/mysql interaction).
Btw, you might noticed that there are blog entries within the dates MT was off. It's because I continued blogging with ecto, caching but not publishing the entries. I published them yesterday once MT was fixed.